Create IoT Products, Make Friends, Make Art, Build Startups!
Welcome to the Devpost site for the much-anticipated IoTHackDay 2016!
Saturday, October 22, 2016, 8am - 8pm
WHAT IS IoTHackDay?
#IoTHackDay is a fun, FREE day that brings together teams, novel ideas, and an entrepreneurial spirit to dream up and build cool new devices to solve everyday problems.
Teams form, submit their ideas ahead of the event, and hack for 12 hours. The public is invited to attend at the end of the day, and vote for their favorite teams. Top teams receive hardware and prizes!
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE IN IoTHackDay?
#IoTHackDay is an, "Open Team Hackathon," which means that it's open to everyone! The formation of teams ahead of time is encouraged, but not required.
- If you have a project idea, form a team, submit it to both Devpost.com and IoTHackDay. After you have posted a description of what you plan to build, it will show up on the IoTHackDAy Gallery of Submission page. Please check to see it it posted.
- Anyone is welcome to participate regardless of whether you've started or joined a team, or even if you have no idea which team to join ahead of time. All skill sets are welcome.
- We have a couple of different opportunities for those who don't know what team to join, or what to do. 1.) You can come to our Meet & Greet Mixer event on Thursday, October 6th, 2016, 6pm - 9pm at Lab|651 in St. Paul, and meet some of the people planning on participating in the hackathon, including team leads. 2.) You can join the Random Stuff Team and bring whatever you are interested in working on, as well as a sense of adventure, to see if you can come up with something the day of. This is more of the, "Traditional Hackathon," route, which some people prefer. If this team gets big enough, it may split into two or more teams the day of. We ask that you still register for the event ahead of time.
- ATTEND THE FINAL PITCH SHOWCASE! If you are not competing, but just curious and would like to see what the teams have built, talk with the team members and help to selecting the top 3 winning teams register for the the FINAL PITCH SHOWCASE at 8:00pm
What if I'm a kid or teen?
- There will be separate educational areas set up for kids and teens to hack from 10am - 4pm. We encourage all kids/teens to attend no matter their skill level. Spots are limited, so please register.
WHEN IS IOTHACKDAY?
#IoTHackDay will occur on Saturday, Oct 22nd, 2016, at Minnetronix in St. Paul, MN - address and directions here.
Teams compete from 8am - 8pm to build the most innovative solution that they can. Since this is an, "Internet of Things," hackathon, and only 12 hours, we have found that teams who form ahead of time and plan out what they are going to build tend to accomplish what they set out to do. IoT projects often involve a physical component, which may involve some sort of novel electronics - in which case, forming an idea and team ahead of time is needed to identify and requisition the appropriate hardware.
We encourage you to form and submit your team now!
The cutoff for team registrations is two weeks before the event - Friday, October 7th, 2016. You can still reach out to us and register to join an exisiting team if that works better for you. Contact us at email@example.com if you would like to participate.
Lunch, snacks and dinner will be served.
Additionally, if you would rather attend to see what the teams are building and vote on the winning team, join us at 8pm. We ask that you please register for FREE as a public voting attendee at our normal monthly meetup site.
Interested in sponsoring? We would love ot hear from you! Find out about sponsorship opportunites and how you can help here.
Interested in volunteering? That would be awesome and appreciated! If you know of someone who wants to be a part of the event but doesn't plan to hack, please message us so that we can share details, and get them scheduled for a shift.
This year's IoTHackDay is going to be great! We encourage you to share photos and tweet your progress under the hashtag #IoTHackDay on our page @IoTHackDay throughout the event. It will also rev up the public who will be voting on your projects. Don't forget to invite your family and friends! Register to attend the event.
Here are some previous examples of projects that teams have built at our past IoT hackathons:
$1,600 in prizes
Category Prize (2)
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Join us at #IoTHackDay 2016!
Participants with all skill levels are encouraged and eligible to participate.
Not interested in being on a team and competing but would like to attend and vote on the winner? Register HERE.
The submission requirements are very relaxed. Just set up a team here on Devpost.com with a short snippet on what you are planning to create during the Hack Day within 12 hours, and submit your team to the hackathon.
You are encouraged to build modules and bring what you need ahead of time to prepare yourself for success. The competition is not only about the product you have envisioned and created, but how much you have been able to build that day. The more you can build to what you orginally spec'ed and share with the group, the better chances you have of winning #IoTHackDay.
How to enter
Create your team and submit your solution using IoT, a new and novel solution that will solve many of the basic problems that we encounter in our daily lives. All you need is an idea and a team to help execute on your vision.
Registration is FREE. Submit your idea and team on here on Devpost.com, and submit it to IoTHackDay. Make sure to share an image or photos on your project page to help conceptualize what you're planning to build on the day of the hackathon.
Crowd / Public Visitors
How new is the concept?
How practical is the concept in normal life, art, industry or otherwise? How much does it fit its function?
Impressiveness of Completion
How far did you get during the day? If you started from complete scratch and ended up building something, you did great!